Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Third Trimester Class

So Bobby and I are 1/2 way through our Third Trimester Class we are taking at the hospital. We attend class 2 hours every week for 6 weeks. This will end up being a good 12 hours of training for our big day and thereafter. This class had been very helpful in a lot of ways and also terrifying in all of the ways you would expect. For instance... I was unsure whether I wanted an epidural or not until class #2. We watched the labor process for 3 different women and learned about the different stages of labor and how long they usually last. That video was life changing. Epidural- yes please. Why the mothers in the video were not wearing anything AT ALL- still not sure.

Last nights class was actually very interesting in a non scary way. We learned about the Dunstan Baby Language. This is where you can tell what your baby needs by the "words" they say when they are crying. Example: They make a "neh" sound when they are hungry and an "owh" sound when they are tired. Has anyone ever heard of this? Can anyone tell what their baby (ages 0-3 months) needs by the sound of their cry? ...just curious.

http://www.dunstanbaby.com/cms/index.php?page=us-home

3 comments:

Kristy & Miguel said...

Sounds like a fun class! Glad you decided to go with the epidural.. I'm not sure but I think pushing a baby out of that area might hurt a little! Weird that the people i the videos were nude...Awkard! Your getting so close to meeting littler Oliver!! YAY

Shane and Beth said...

Honestly I could never tell, but I didn't learn that in my class either. Good luck with that! I think you are smart by being open minded about the epidural....they do come in pretty handy:) Can't wait to see you this weekend!!!

Marsha said...

Yes, I have seen this system on Oprah and it makes sense but if you can't understand the language of babies you will still be a good mom. Rule of thumb - if your baby cries s/he needs or wants something. :)See ya soon raccoon!